Table of Contents
Preface and Introduction.
Demystifying the Helping Process.
Section I: THE FOUNDATIONS OF COUNSELING AND PSYCHOTHERAPY.
1. Intentional Interviewing, Counseling, and Psychotherapy.
2. Ethics, Multicultural Competence, Positive Psychology, and Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes.
3. Attending Behavior and Empathy Skills.
4. Observation Skills.
Section II: THE BASIC LISTENING SEQUENCE: HOW TO ORGANIZE A SESSION.
5. Questions: Opening Communication.
6. Encouraging, Paraphrasing, and Summarizing: Active Listening and Cognition.
7. Observing and Reflecting Feelings: The Heart of Empathic Understanding.
8. How to Conduct a Five-Stage Counseling Session Using Only Listening Skills.
Section III: FOCUSING AND EMPATHIC CONFRONTATION: NEUROSCIENCE, MEMORY, AND THE INFLUENCING SKILLS.
9. Focusing the Counseling Session: Contextualizing and Broadening the Story.
10. Empathic Confrontation and the Creative New: Identifying and Challenging Client Conflict.
Section IV: INTERPERSONAL INFLUENCING SKILLS FOR CREATIVE CHANGE.
11. Reflection of Meaning and Interpretation/Reframing: Helping Clients Restory Their Lives.
12. Action Skills for Building Resilience and Managing Stress: Self-Disclosure, Feedback, Logical Consequences, Directives/Instruction, and Psychoeducation.
Section V: SKILL INTEGRATION, THEORY INTO PRACTICE, AND DETERMINING PERSONAL STYLE.
13. Counseling Theory and Practice: How to Integrate the Microskills Approach with Multiple Approaches.
14. Skill Integration and Determining Personal Style.
Appendix I: The Ivey Taxonomy: Definitions of the Microskills and Strategies with Anticipated Client Response.
Appendix II: Ethics.
Appendix III: The Family Genogram.
Appendix IV: Counseling, Neuroscience/Neurobiology, and Microskills.